Thursday, April 24, 2008

Comfort Food

The place where I have been staying since January allows me to walk to work. It has a 24-hour security guard. A very reasonable rent. And enough space for me and my daughter's growing collection of books. Very good points indeed.

What it doesn't have is its own kitchen. There is a common area outside though where you could cook. I would have to cut ingredients in my room, bring everything out to cook AND guard the foodstuff from the dogs too.

Since the owners live downstairs sometimes I'm tempted to cook in secret in my room. But being a good tenant that I am, I don't. I don't want to be booted out for starting anything hot. In the meantime I would have to live off wheat bread, tomatoes and cucumbers. Variety would come from a tuna can *sigh. BUT if I can work around this very minor setback, Curry Rice would be the very first thing sizzling on my pan.. It's been so long since I prepared and had some. Light, yellow, and just the right amount of spice.


Here's one recipe that never fails:

leftover or freshly cooked rice
curry powder
chicken buillion cube
olive oil

You can also add: chopped white onions,chopped celery,cubed red and green bell pepper,and chopped Parsley.

Heat oil on a pan. Start with the leftover rice. When its heated through start crumbling the chicken cube. I use two wooden spoon and mix the rice and chicken flavor well. Then add the curry powder and take the time to mix it until the rice has an even yellow color. Serve.

If you decide to add vegetables and onions it would add a different depth and color to your dish and increase nutritional value as well.

I usually serve the rice on a bed of lettuce and with grilled fish or fried chicken or barbecued pork on the side just how my daughter likes it.

I usually cook by taste so apologies that I could not guesstimate the quantity of the ingredients. It helps if you add a little and then taste and adjust the flavors to your liking. Do have fun with this recipe.

Cheers,
Cherry

No comments: